Courgette Fritter Recipe
So this courgette fritter recipe is a bit of a western variation on the Indian bhaji, it uses gram flour and goes for that lovely gooey inside you find in a well cooked bhaji, flavoured with courgettes, garden herbs and italian hard cheese.
The beauty of this courgette fritter recipe is that you can taste it before you cook it make sure it’s seasoned appropriately – it has no egg, meat or anything that might feel a bit icky.
We are serving this tonight with falafel, homemade flatbread (thank you Chef Michael Severn) and salad but it would also go great with pasta, or as a tapas or snack with a glass of wine.
Serves 4 as a side dish
Ingredients for Courgette Fritter Recipe
- About 200g (1.5 cups) gram (chickpea) flour
- 1 large Courgettes (zuchini) grated
- 4 Spring onions (scallions) finely diced
- 1 tsp Honey
- Small handful (3/4 cup) of finely chopped fresh herbs – I’m using Coriander and Oregano
- 80g (1 cup) italian hard cheese (or whatever you have in the cupboard)
- A little salt and pepper
- Olive oil for shallow frying
Courgette Fritter Recipe Method
- Pop your courgettes and spring onions in a bowl
- Add the flour, herbs, honey, salt & pepper – mix by hand and set aside for 15 mins
- The liquid from the onions and courgette will start to turn the mixture gooey
- Mix in the cheese
- Heat about 1/2 inch of oil in a non-stick frying pan to a high heat
- Spoon dessert spoon sized dollops of the mixture into the hot oil and fry on 4 mins each side
- De-greasify on kitchen roll before serving…lovely jubbly!!!