Easy Chinesey Savoury Brown Rice
Serves: 1 hungry guy or 2 normal people for a lunch
Approx time: 45 mins
- 200ml brown rice
- 1 small white onion (diced)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 400ml vegetable stock
- 1/2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Oyster sauce
- 1/2 tsp 5 spice (optional)
- 1 tsp fresh chopped ginger (I use a cheese grater)
- 1 tsp lemon zest (again – use the cheese grater)
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- Handful of peas
- Heat the sesame oil in a small pan and fry the onion until soft
- Add the ginger and cook for a further 2 mins
- Stir in light & dark soy sauce, onion sauce, 5 spice, chilli flakes and lemon zest. Warm to make a sauce (about 2 minutes)
- Add the brown rice and cook in the sauce (stirring) for about 5 minutes
- Pour the stock in, stir, cover and simmer for around 20 or 25 minutes until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add the peas for the last 5 minutes of cooking.
If all the liquid absorbs before the rice is cooked, just turn off the heat, cover and let it steam itself until the rice is done.