When we’re talking comfort food, there’s not much that’s going to beat a homemade loaded potato skin recipe. This is something I played with over the weekend and pretty much perfected. An interesting twist to this particular loaded potato skin recipe is the use of mashed kidney beans which gives the filling an earthy quality that offsets somewhat the huge amount of cheese required – I first came across this idea about 15 years ago when we used to use it in a sausage hash dish – the idea had been lost in the anals of time until recently and works really well here!
Something else I love about loaded potato skins is that you can use pretty much anything you have left over in the fridge, you really don’t have to follow the recipe to the letter. Let me know what you used, perhaps something spicy??
- 2 baking potatos
- oil, butter & salt
- 100g Cheese
- 4 tsp of mashed kidney beans
- 2 rashers of Bacon
- Rub the potatoes with olive oil and bake for about 60 minutes at 200 celcius
- Let the potatoes cool, slice in half lengthwise and scoop out the potato leaving about 1/4 inch of potato inside.
- Rub the skin side with salt and olive oil and grill skin side up for about 5 minutes until the skin is crispy
- Rub butter over the inside of the potato and grill skin side down for about 5 minutes
- Drain the butter and press about a tsp of mashed kidney beans into the potato
- Mix up the cheese and bacon, divide into 4 and press the mixture into the potato on top of the kidney beans
- Grill until all the cheese has melted!
I served this with homemade pizza and homemade coleslaw…yum!!