Sausagemeat Plait Recipe
Rough Sausagemeat Plait Recipe
I was looking for something quick and easy to throw together for an easy Saturday meal, and sausagemeat plait came to mind. Buy a ready made pack of pastry and a load of sausagemeat and we’re away. Unfortunately, I was sidetracked by curiosity…Last week, I came across a Pieminister recipe for ‘Rough’ pastry and thought it might be a good idea to give it a whirl…so sausagemeat in hand I bought a pack of butter and off I went!
Sausagemeat Plait is an old school favorite – I thought to pep it up I’d add a Bramley apple too. This all came together very nicely to make a really good sausagemeat plait recipe. I added a few new potatoes and a corn on the cob to serve.
Sausagemeat Plait Recipe Ingredients
- 250g strong plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 250g butter, at room temperature, but not soft
- 1 Egg (for glazing)
- Approx 100ml room temp water
- 500g Sausagemeat
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 Bramley apple (peeled and diced)
Method for Sausagemeat Plait Recipe
- First make the pastry. Simply chop up the butter and add to the flour and salt. Rub with fingertips until it’s all squidged in.
- Make a well in the pastry and add the water (add more flour and water as necessary) until you have a firm dough
- Refrigerate for 20 minutes covered with clingfilm.
- Knead for about 5 minutes then roll out in one direction.
- Fold one end into the middle and then the other end over that – turn 90 degrees and repeat 3 times.
- Refrigerate again for at least 20 minutes
- Now mix the onion, sausagemeat and apple in a bowl, take the pastry and roll it out.
- Imagine the pastry into thirds and place the sausagemeat mixture in the middle third.
- Now take a knife and cut the pastry into diagonal lines either side of the mixture.
- Fold the strips up and over the sausagemeat mixture and paint with a beaten egg.
- Place pie on a baking tray into a preheated oven at 180ºC for 40 minutes
And that’s it…believe me, it sounds a lot more long winded than it actually is! Hope you enjoy this sausagemeat plait recipe 🙂
Categories: Good Old English Recipes