Spicy Dahl Recipe
Some other info: Carbs 74, Fat 3g, Protein 32, Cholesterol 0
This is a great spicy dahl recipe. More calories than a sandwich but very filling, satisfying and with boat-loads of protein. If you’re training hard then spicy dahl recipe will really help you boost your protein.
Spicy Dahl Recipe Ingredients
- 200g red split lentils
- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 1 tbsp oil (I used olive oil but I expect ghee would be more authentic)
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 1.5 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp Hing (asafoetida)
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 2 chopped birdseye chilli’s (adjust as preferred)
- 1 good thumb sized piece of ginger
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander (Chopped)
Method for Spicy Dahl
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Fry for a couple of minutes until the cumin seeds turn brown and start popping.
- Add the ginger, chilli’s and onion and cook until the onion is soft.
- Wash the lentils through in a sieve under running water. Add to the pan once the water runs clear then add the stock.
- Add everything else except the chopped coriander and simmer for about 30 minutes, until the right consistency is reached. The lentils should be soft and the liquid soupy.
You can serve this spicy dahl recipe with rice, naan bread or all on it’s own. Spicy dahl is also a great side dish with other curry’s.
Categories: Indian Recipes