Butternut Squash, Aubergine & Sweet Potato Curry
Calories: 211 Kcal
Let’s be completely honest here, this butternut squash curry recipe is a million miles from being authentic, however, the ingredients combine to create the most mouth-watering, eclectic mix of flavours that this small fact pales into insignificance in no time.
- 5 small onions (380g – diced very small)
- 5 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1 whole squash (cubed)
- 1 large sweet potato
- 2 aubergines
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomato
- 1 tbsp each of cumin, fennel seeds and chilli powder and fresh grated ginger
- 1/2 tbsp each of turmeric, corriander, garam masala and paprika
- Seeds from 20 cardomom pod
- 1 cinnamon stick
- First make your gravy:-
- Put about 1 inch of water into a large pan or casserole dish. Heat the water and add the onion and garlic.
- Once the onion is soft, add all of the spices and stir until they are mixed in then add the chopped tomato.
- Simmer gently for 20 minutes
- Now prepare your veg:-
- Wrap the sweet potato in foil
- Cube the flesh of the squash and wrap in foil parcels
- Slice the aubergine (1/2″) then wrap in foil (for best results salt the aubergine slices for 30 mins beforehand)
- Bake all of the veg at 200ºC for 35 minutes
- Remove all but the Potato (which you will bake for an extra 30 minutes).
- Quarted the aubergine and add to the curry gravy.
- Simmer gently for 30 minutes then add the potato.
- Simmer for another 10 minutes and serve.