This is an awesome recipe taught to me by a Punjabi family man. This is definitely not a traditional hyderabadi biryani, (if you want to see one those amazing dishes being made authentically take a look at the video at the foot of this recipe) however, it tastes amazing – just like the biryani rice that comes from many UK takeaways.
I have been eating this for lunch on a very regular basis! There are a lot of ingredients but please bear with it, it takes about 30 minutes in total and is worth every second!
- 500 grams of Basmati rice.
- 400 grams of your favorite mixed veg (cut small)
- 125 grams of plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 large Onion chopped.
- 6 cloves of garlic chopped
- Small stick of cinnamon
- About a thumb sized lump of fresh ginger chopped.
- 6 curry leaves
- 2 small fresh chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- half a can of Italian passata or chopped tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder.
- 1 teaspoon of Gram masala
- 1 teaspoon of salt or as required .
- 1 teaspoon of black mustard seeds.
- 1 teaspoon of whole cumin seeds.
- 1 teaspoon of Asafoetida ( Hing )
Easy Biryani Method
- Heat the oil in a large pan on medium heat
- Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, cinamon and sizzle for a minute until the mustard seeds are popping
- Add onion, garlic, ginger, fresh tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and curry leafs. Fry until the onions are soft.
- Stir in the chilli powder,hing, turmeric and garam masala – cook for another minute or two.
- Add yogurt and mix well
- Add tomato passata, sugar and salt. Fry until you start to see the oil separating (about 4/5 minutes)
- Add mixed veg and continue cooking for about 10 minutes (until the veg is about half cooked)
- Add basamati rice, stir and pour in warm water until the water is about 1/2 inch above the rice
- Bring to the boil and simmer gently (without stirring) on a low heat until most of the water has gone (about 10 mins)
- Turn off the heat and leave covered for approx another 10 minutes until all of the liquid is evaporated.
- Serve and enjoy!