- Great cooking & kitchen tips
- New recipes & ideas
- Articles from top chef's and bloggers
- Interact with other foodies
We went camping in the New Forest with a load of old school friends this weekend, on the Saturday we went to pub in Nomansland and a number of us had the traditional steak and ale pie option which inspired me to find a great steak and ale pie recipe to cook yesterday.
This traditional steak and ale pie recipe will do for about 6 people. Luckily there are loads of steak and ale pie recipes out there and they’re all very similar, here’s what I did.
1. First make up the filling (just like a casserole). Season the flour with salt and pepper and coat the bits of steak.
2. Fry the steak in the butter until it’s brown all over then add everything except the pastry and egg, and simmer with the lid on for about 90 minutes.
3. Take the lid of and reduce until you have the required sauce thickness – this was 30mins for me.
4. Turn out the filling into a pie dish, top with the rolled puff pastry mix.
5. Brush the top with your beaten egg (or milk) and bake in the oven on 200°C for about 30 minutes
And that’s all there is to it – nice and easy
Categories: Good Old English Recipes