Roasted Gammon in Coke Recipe
Fed 2 adults, 2 hungry teenagers and a 6 year old!
Seriously? This really shouldn’t work – but crickey heck it really is awesome!!! The cooking in coke gives the roasted gammon (ham!) a very subtle sweetness and tenderises it a treat!
Before I go on, credit where it’s due, this roasted gammon recipe is the brain child of Nigella Lawson. We just finished our Sunday roast and had this roasted gammon in coke recipe with roasted potatoes, honey roasted parsnips, carrots, leek and parsley sauce…there was not a scrap left on anyones plate! (A rare occurrence in out house :-).
Ok, enough waffle, let’s get to the recipe:-
Ingredients for Roasted Gammon in Coke Recipe
- 1.1kg gammon
- 2 litres of coke (in fact we used pepsi because it was on offer)
- 1 onion, halved
For the roasted gammon glaze
- 1 tbsp Black treacle
- 1 tsp mustard powder
- a few cloves
- 1 tbsp Demerara sugar
Roasted Gammon in Coke Recipe Method
- Put the gammon (skin side down), coke and onion in a big old pot. Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 hour per kilo (plus 15 mins)
- Remove the gammon from the pot and allow to cool slightly.
- Remove the skin and score the fat in large diamond shapes.
- Poke the cloves in at the intersection of the diamonds, smother carefully in black treacle and sprinkle over the mustard powder and Demerara sugar.
- Roast in the oven on a foil lined baking tray for around 30 minutes on 180°C
- Take out of the oven, carve and serve.
We served this with an easy honey roasted parsnips recipe…enjoy!!