Prep time: 5 min
A stack of muffin, bacon and poached egg topped with a thick creamy hollandaise sauce has to be the ultimate in decadent breakfasting! For years I’ve put off making a hollandaise sauce because an easy hollandaise sauce recipe completely alluded me. Finally, having recently mastered the humble poached egg, I decided to grow a pair and master a hollandaise sauce recipe. To my delight, whilst researching various hollandaise sauce recipes, I found an article by Felicity Cloake who had already done all of the research for me! Felicity had investigated and experimented with hollandaise sauce recipes from a variety of renowned chef’s and ended up with this amazingly easy hollandaise sauce recipe! If you want to read the article itself, take a look here, it really is very comprehensive.
This easy hollandaise sauce recipe comes from the kitchen of Harold Mcgee. So without further ado, here it is – Harold Mcgee’s easy hollandaise sauce recipe!
Ingredients for Easy Hollandaise Sauce
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 65g unsalted butter
- 1 dessert spoon of water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
How to make Easy Hollandaise Sauce
- Put a pan on the lowest heat possible
- Cut the butter up into cubes and add to a small saucepan with the water
- Add the yolk to the pan and start whisking
- Once the butter has melted, turn the heat up slightly and continue to whisk until the sauce has reached the desired consistency.
- Add lemon juice, whisk a bit more and serve.
- Yum !!
Easy Hollandaise Sauce Notes & Tips:
- At no point should you stop whisking the hollandaise sauce – this is vital!
- If the hollandaise sauce get’s too hot during cooking, just remove the pan from the heat and continue whisking
- You could try adding a teaspoon of white wine vinegar instead of or as well as the lemon juice
- Garnish with some chives or parsley