This is a slightly westernised version of the traditional hyderabadi indian biryani recipe, but it still tastes amazing! I’ve also included a video with an old Indian master chef showing you how to create an indian biryani properly! Enjoy.
Ingredients for Indian Biryani Recipe
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 3 thumbs of ginger (chopped small)
- 4 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 400g meat (chicken, lamb, beef – it’s up to you) cut into small cubes about 2 cm
- 200g mixed vegetables (any of the following work:-mushrooms, peas, red pepper, green beans) chopped small
- 300g rice (basmati is best)
- 500ml stock (depending on the kind of meat you’re using)
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 25g butter
For the meat marinade
- 200g yoghurt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp curry powder (make your own if you like)
- 6 cardamom pods
- 5 cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- bunch of chopped fresh coriander
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
Method for Indian Biryani Recipe
- Mix the ingredients for the meat marinade with the meat and chill for at least 45 minutes
- In a heavy casserole dish gently fry the onions, ginger and garlic in peanut oil for about 5 minutes
- Add the butter
- When melted, add the meat mixture and fry for about 5 minutes, stirring continually
- Add the rice and vegetables and cook for a further minute.
- Finally pour the stock in, cover with a lid and put in the oven on 170 degrees C for about 20 minutes or until the rice is properly cooked.
You can add more water if necessary, or cook for longer.
Now, here is an excellent video with a real Indian chef that shows how to cook an authentic hyderabadi Indian biryani.