Over the years I have searched and searched for the best baked meatballs recipe. In fact I’ve tried frying, steaming and baking meatballs to uncover the secret to the finest baked meatballs in the UK. I’m happy to announce that the search is now over! Who better than a meatball shop, or more accurately THE Meatball Shop in the US who bake over 4,000 meatballs every day for it’s customers.
I don’t know if it’s the subtle hint of ground fennel seeds, or the suggestion of chilli that really sets this baked meatballs recipe apart, but set apart it should be!
I first came across this recipe on ChefKey, a social networking site for foodies. It was in the form of a video of The Meatball Company owners demonstrating this exact recipe on the Martha Stewart show. The actual video is at the foot of this post.
Ingredients for Baked Meatballs Recipe
- 800g minced beef (at least 20% fat)
- 40g toasted italian breadcrumbs
- 250g Ricotta cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano (finely chopped)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp ground fennel seeds
- 1 portion of basic tomato sauce recipe
How to make Baked Meatballs Recipe
- Pre-heat the oven to 230 Celcius.
- Mix all of the ingredients (except the basic tomato sauce recipe) together thoroughly.
- Grease a baking pyrex baking tray with olive oil, make 20 ish golf ball sized meatballs and put them side by side and touching into the tray.
- Bake the meatballs for 20 minutes.
- Cover the meatballs with the sauce and return to the oven for a further 15 minutes.
And here’s the video:-