This is a very quick and easy basic tomato sauce recipe. It’s relatively inexpensive and can be used in numerous different ways. The basic tomato sauce recipe can be served on it’s own over a steaming bed of spaghetti to make a mega-quick, flavoursome meal. It can also be used as a base for a more complex sauce, or as a part of another recipe such as this awesome baked meatballs recipe or chicken Parmigiana.
Ingredients for basic tomato sauce
- 4 x 400g tins of tomato’s
- 100g tomato puree
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion (diced)
- 4 fat garlic cloves (sliced)
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar (omit if using fresh tomato’s)
Making the basic tomato sauce recipe
- heat the olive oil on a low heat and gently sweat the onion and garlic for about 10 minutes or until soft.
- Add the tomato puree and cook for a further 5 minutes until the puree goes a shade
- Pour in the tinned tomato’s and simmer gently for about an hour.
- Finally add salt and pepper to taste.