Bordelaise sauce is a child of the espagnole mother sauce – you can see the espagnole sauce recipe here.
The bordelaise sauce recipe is a red wine sauce that takes its name from the Bordeaux wine region of France.
Traditionally, bordelaise sauce goes beautifully with steak, roast beef and any in fact any dish that works well with demi glace or red wine based sauces.
Ingredients for Bordelaise Sauce Recipe
- 240ml Espagnole Sauce Recipe or beef stock
- 180 ml a good dry red wine
- 2 Shallots, finely sliced
- 1/4 tsp thyme
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
How to make the bordelaise Sauce Recipe
- Combine the red wine, shallots, thyme and bay leaf
- Bring to the boil reduce to a slow simmer and reduce by half
- Add the espagnole sauce, bring back to the boil then simmer until the sauce coats the back of a spoon (nape)
- Strain and serve your bordelaise sauce recipe