Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe
This homemade mayonnaise recipe is pretty easy so long as you follow the instructions carefully. It tastes way better and is far cheaper than using shop-bought mayonnaise.
The idea is pretty much the same as hollandaise sauce in that we are trying to achieve an emulsion of egg yolk and oil flavoured with lemon, mustard and seasoning. You can play around with the recipe to introduce different flavours – in fact, it’s only a clove of garlic away from a lovely creamy aioli!
This particular homemade mayonnaise recipe comes straight from the Institut Paul Bocuse Gastronomique, a mighty tome of knowledge for anyone that is interested in professional cooking.
Ingredients for Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe
- 1 Egg yolk
- 1 tsp English mustard (or dijon if preferred)
- 200ml sunflower oil
- Juice of 1 lemon (or 2 tbsp of white wine vinegar)
- Salt and ground pepper
- Put the egg yolk and mustard in a mixing bowl and stir lightly with the whisk.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Whisking constantly, pour in the oil. Start with a drop or two initially, once the emulsion has taken you can add it in a thin stream.
- When the mayonnaise begins to thicken you can add the oil in a steadier stream.
- Add the lemon juice which will loosen the mayonnaise.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste.