This Jeera Chicken recipe is thanks to Charlie Ladher – I wanted to add some foundation and more understanding of indian cooking so I enrolled on an Indian cookery course at a local college. Today we made a jeera chicken recipe (jeera means cumin). Myself and Amanda have not been eating meat for the past few weeks so I substituted the chicken for Quorn chicken – it worked out just fine!
- 500g Chicken (or Quorn) cubed in 1 inch pieces
- 2 or 3 x onions
- 2 x tomatoes (chopped roughly)
- Half can chopped tomatoes
- 250 ml single cream
- 125g butter (yes really!)
- 1 red chilli
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp cumin
- salt and sugar to taste
- A good handful of chopped coriander
- Melt the butter or ghee in a pot and fry the onions and chilli’s until soft and shiny
- Add the fresh tomatoes, garlic, cumin and turmeric and cook for around 5 minutes
- Add canned tomatoes and the chicken, put the lid on and cook for around 10 minutes
- Add salt and sugar to taste I used about a tsp of each).
- Add the single cream and cook for a further 5 minutes (or until the chicken is cooked)
- Stir in the coriander
- Serve with rice or bread.