Potato Salad Recipe Serves 6 (as a side)
Crickey oh Riley!! The sun’s out after months of bleak days. We’re finally getting a taster of summer. In the UK (certainly in our house) a bit of sun means that a BBQ is obligatory. We rushed up to Sainsbury’s and grabbed a bargain on some salmon steaks, whipped up some cheats tandoori chicken (cubed and marinated in preparation for the skewers) and grabbed a pile of burgers. But a faux summer barbecue just wouldn’t be right without a potato salad.
I’ve been playing around for the last few weeks with a number of warm potato salad recipe’s, so this is the culmination of my experiences with Felicite Cloak, the Hairy Bikers, Nigel Slater, Delia and my Mum (who likes a bit of boiled egg and equal parts salad cream and mayonaise in her potato salad!).
Ingredients for potato salad recipe
- 600g Potato’s cut into 1 inch cubes (I prefer to leave the skin on)
- 4 Rashers of streaky bacon (grilled until crispy and cooled)
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 2 Gurkins chopped up into really small pieces (about 2mm³)
- 1 tsp each of dijon mustard and olive oil
- 2 tsp Salad Cream
- 3 tsp Mayonnaise (or more to taste)
- 1 tbsp dill (finely chopped)
- Salt & Pepper
Potato Salad Recipe Method
- Put the potatoes into cold salted water, bring to the boil and simmer for about 10 minutes (or until the potatoes are just starting to go tender). You should just able be able to stick a skewer through a potato without too much resistance. Be careful not to cook them or you’ll end up with a very mushy potato salad (which still tastes good!)
- Run the cooked potatoes under cold water for about 5 minutes to cool them down then either pat them dry.
- Add the zest, lemon juice, mayonnaise, salad cream, olive oil, dijon mustard, chopped gherkins and dill. Give it all a good stir to mix everything up.
- Refrigerate until ready.