This recipe comes from a Russian chef I found on Youtube. It seems a bit fiddly to start with but once you’ve made it a couple of times it’s pretty easy and produces amazing results! I have shortened the recipe for convenience, but if you want to do it properly there’s a video at the bottom of the page.
- 75ml Olive oil
- 5 Garlic Cloves
- 300g Pasata
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 45g onion (diced)
- 120g Cherry Tomatoes (quartered)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest (zested)
- 30 ml each of red wine, white wine and vodka
- 1tbsp fresh basil
- 2tsp balsamic vinegar
- Heat up 60ml of the oil and add half of the pasata, sugar and some salt. Cook on medium heat for about 5 minutes, or until you see small bubbles popping through the pasata. DO NOT STIR DURING THIS FIRST PHASE.
- Add tomatoes, onions and garlic. Now you can stir, and leave to cook until the tomatoes have melted into the sauce.
- Add the rest of the pasata, the lemon zest, black pepper and the alcohol. Then cover and cook for 10 minutes
- Add the cayenne pepper, stir, cover and cook for another 5 minutes
- Stir in the fresh basil and turn off the heat.
- Leave to cool, blend with a wand blender and add the balsamic vinegar.
done – easy huh?