Ok, first we need to get something straight – this is NOT a recipe for Raan Lamb, the Indian classic
Raan lamb will take in around 3 days to prepare correctly, if that’s what you’re looking for then there’s an excellent howto (with pictures and everything!) right here.
Moving on, what I’m offering here is a cheat version of Raan, that takes around 10 minutes to prepare and serves 2 people. It uses lamb steaks rather than a whole leg of lamb but it does taste great! So here goes:-
Ingredients for Easy Raan Style Lamb
- 2 x Lamb Steaks
- 200g natural yogurt
- 3 x Cloves of Garlic
- 1 x Onion
- 1 x Chunk of ginger (about 1 thumb in size)
- 1 x fat green chillis
- 2 x Tblspoons of desicated/ chopped almonds
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Seeds from about 1 tps cardamom pods
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
The very scientific methodology for Easy Raan Style Lamb
- Chuck everything except the steaks into a food processor and whizz it till you have a paste.
- make some cuts in the lamb steaks to allow the paste to get in.
- Marinade the lamb steaks in the fridge for about an hour or 30 mins if you’re pressed for time. Basically the longer the better.
- Chuck the whole lot in a roasting tin and put in a preheated over (about230°C/gas mark 8 ) for 20 minutes.
Serving suggestions:- pilau rice & tarka dahl