Calories: 220 per serving
Shakshuka is a traditional North African dish that I found whilst looking for a way to use the eggs that our chickens keep firing out!
This shakshuka recipe may look a bit sloppy, but the subtle use of spice leaves a comforting tingle on the tongue and gives the shakshuka a full and rounded flavour. This shakshuka recipe will definitely be going on my breakfast menu!
We served it with a bit of french bread, but I suspect pitta might work a bit better 🙂
Ingredients for Shakshuka
- 1 medium onion – diced (I used a red one)
- 1 400g tin of chopped tomato’s
- 150 ml tomato juice
- 1 chilli pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chilli powder (optional)
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 4 eggs
Shakshuka Recipe Method
- Gently fry the onion and chili until the onion is soft (about 5 minutes)
- Add everything else except the eggs and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Before adding the eggs, have a little taste and adjust as you see fit.
- Crack the eggs carefully into the mixture, cover and simmer on a low heat until the whites are set (about 7 minutes).
- Serve and enjoy!!