Dying of starvation and at the end of the week, I needed something quick, easy and fulfilling for lunch today. Chickpeas are one of my favourite ingredients, combined with the aromatic, intense flavours of india they make a most exquisite lunch.
This meal only takes about 10 or 15 minutes which, coincidentally is about the same time it takes to whip up some rice or a chapati…perfect!
Ingredients for Curried Chickpeas
- 1 x Onion – sliced
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 chunk fresh ginger (about thumb size – chopped small)
- 2 x tomatoes – chopped
- 1 tbsp natural yogurt
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp hot chilli powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
Curried Chickpea Recipe Method
- Heat the oil on a medium heat
- Add fennel seeds and cumin seeds and sizzle for a couple of minutes
- Add onion and ginger and cook until the onion becomes transparent and soft (about 5 minutes)
- Add tomatoes, chickpeas, the remaining spices and stir.
- Cook for about 5 minutes or until the chickpeas are cooked.
- Remove from the heat and add stir in the yogurt.