Vegetarian Ravioli Recipe
This weekend has been a proper blow out as it was Mandy’s birthday! Chinese on Friday, after the pub – Domino’s pizza on Saturday, after the pub. Struggling to deal with my excess of beer, wine, whiskey and junk food I spent the morning on the sofa with number 1 son watching Supersize Me. All of this spurred me on to make a hearty, home cooked lunch. I’ve never made pasta before so what better recipe to master than a homely vegetarian Ravioli recipe ‘just like mamma used to make’. Alright, truth be told my mamma never made a vegetarian ravioli recipe but hey…
So, I’ve looked around at how to make pasta dough and the good news is that it’s really easy – so easy in fact that my 11 year old son used the dough afterwards to experiment with his own ravioli parcels! The bad news is that to complete the vegetarian ravioli recipe takes ages! Mainly because of the time it takes to form the vegetarian ravioli parcels. I have a feeling that over time this will become easier and much quicker.
To serve this vegetarian ravioli recipe, I knocked up a quick and easy variation of marinara sauce and added a bit of toast. It actually worked out really well!!!
So here it is – for those with a bit of time on their hands – vegetarian ravioli recipe:-
Note:This vegetarian ravioli recipe made 24 vegetarian ravioli parcels (that were really yummy!!!)
Ingredients for vegetarian ravioli recipe
It should be said that there are loads of variations on the pasta dough, I chose this one because it looked quite easy! I think next time I would probably dispense with the water and go with just eggs and flour.
- 350g strong flour
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 120ml water
Making the dough for this vegetarian ravioli recipe is really easy, just beat the eggs water and olive oil together, then add the flour and mix well. Knead the dough for AGES!! Minimum 10 minutes until it become stretchy and elastic. Put in a bowl and cover with a damp tea towel for around 15 minutes.
Vegetarian Ravioli Filling
- 3 tbsp chopped, cooked spinach
- 150g Mascarpone Cheese (or just cream cheese)
- 2 tsp lemon or lime juice
- pinch of salt and pinch of pepper
- 100g grated cheddar cheese
Mix it all up in a bowl apart from the cheddar cheese.
Putting it all together
- Roll out the dough until it’s about 1/3rd cm thick
- Take a glass and cut rounds out of the dough
- Wet your fingers and dampen half of the dough
- Put about half a teaspoon of filling and a little grated cheese in the middle
- Fold the dough over to make a parcel and use the fork to press down all around the outside. Make sure the parcel is completely sealed.
- Boil some water and cook the ravioli in the boiling water for 5-6 minutes.