Professional Hollandaise Sauce
Ingredients for professional hollandaise
- 250g butter (melted)
- 2 Egg yolks
- A few tblsp cold water
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 6 pepper corns
- pinch salt
- juice from 1/2 a lemon
- Begin by making a vinegar reduction. Add vinegar, peppercorns and salt to a small non-reactive pan. Simmer for a few minutes until you have about a teaspoon of liquid lleft then remove from the heat and discard the peppercorns.
- Cool the base of the pan in cold water (I just put a little cold water in the sink and sit the pan in it for around 30 seconds.
- Add 2tbsp of cold water and the egg yolks and whisk until the mix becomes foamy.
- Turn the heat onto medium-low and whisk until the mixture becomes quite stiff.
- Remove from heat and add a couple of drops of melted butter, whisking continually.
- Carry on whisking while adding the butter in a very slow stream.
- When all of the butter is incorporated, whisk in the lemon juice and serve.
- you can re-heat this sauce, just don’t slowly and don’t let it get too hot or it will break.