Summary: This Indian whole chicken recipe is an excellent alternative to your standard roast chicken. George, my 10 year old son, cooked this yesterday – pretty much all on his own. It tasted absolutely great and was a hit with the whole family.
- 1 x Whole Chicken (ours was about 1.5kg)
- 500g Natural Yogart
- 4 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 2 thumb sized chunks of fresh ginger (peeled and finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp fresh mint (chopped)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp sugar
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- Score the chicken flesh to allow the sauce to get right into the chicken.
- Put 350g of the yogart into a container with the rest of the ingredients and mix them all up
- Rub the yogart mixture into the chicken and marinade for as long as you can (24 hours is ideal, but not always practical)
- Put the chicken and sauce into a casserole dish, cover and cook at around 220C or Gas Mark 7) for 1.5 hrs – basting occasionally.
- Serve the Indian Whole chicken, add the remaining yogart to the pan and mix with all of the juices – serve this as sauce/ gravy
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s) 30 minute(s)
Diet tags: Reduced carbohydrate
Number of servings (yield): 4
Culinary tradition: Indian (Southern)